Join us as a Contributor
Since VisitSanMiguel.com’s inception in 2005, we have believed that San Miguel de Allende, and Mexico, and travel in general – transforms us. Travel erases borders. Travel is aspirational, inspirational, and fundamental all at once. We want to continue to bring new voices into the conversation. We want to share the answers to “Why do you love about San Miguel de Allende?”
Here’s what’s in it for you:
- Spread hope and happiness! Share your experiences with folks from all over the world who are dreaming of visiting or relocating.
- Gather a following. We provide a platform of more than 20K followers across social platforms and mailing list.
- Get Famous. We’ll post your bio/byline under each article with a headshot, plus a link to your own blog or website.
Media Submission and Style Guidelines
Who is the VisitSanMiguel.com Audience? We reach everyone from family travelers to solo travelers, backpackers to retirees. If they’re passionate about transformation through travel, they belong in the VisitSanMiguel.com Community. Travel isn’t just about vacation… it’s about the stirring in the soul, the widening of the mind, and the deepening of connection to the world and others. Our audience understands that.
Writing Style Guide:
Some General Writing Suggestions:
- Be clear; say what you mean. Don’t beat around the bush.
- Avoid cliches and what not.
- Start sentences without the school essay crutches of “Furthermore,” “However,” “Look,” “Listen,” “You see,” or “Now.”
- Rip out the “seems” from your language and just make a declaration. Life is short.
- Write with active sensory verbs. “The Parisian air felt icy in my lungs.” “The city of lights looked frosted under the patchy blanket of gray clouds.” “Paris was cold.” See what I mean?
- Don’t lose your takeaway in description.
- Rhetorical questions are confusing in writing, don’t you think?
- Avoid fluff.
Images: If you include photos, images or artwork with your post, you must own the work or have explicit, written permission to publish it. If no images are available, we prefer to publish plain text rather than using stock images. All videos or audio included with the work must have an embed code.
Writers retain full rights to their work, but we ask that they not share it to another publication for six months after it goes live on our site. You may submit previously published work, but you must include all appropriate credits and links back to the original. By accepting our terms and conditions you acknowledge and grant permission to have the work re-published.
5 Tips to Get Published:
#1: Be Original Your submission must be original and not published anywhere else. The search engines don’t allow pieces printed anywhere else online. If we find the article elsewhere, we will reject the submission.
#2. Be On Brand The most common mistake we see from contributors is sending us unrelated content. We are all about San Miguel de Allende and Mexico, and we like to think past the shallow end of the pool if possible. Pick a subject that we write about like:
- Travel or relocation to San Miguel de allende
- Restaurant, hotel, tour and service recommendations and reviews
- Insider tips
- Trip reviews
#3: Be Of Service, Don’t Be Promotional You’re going to get a byline with a link to your site or podcast or tee shirt shop – and you can talk about what you do as long as it’s valuable to travelers – but if your submission is a fluffy press release it will be outrighted to an eternity in PR purgatory.
#4: Make the Editor’s Life Easier
- Run your piece through an editor like Grammarly or double-check it yourself before submitting to catch errors like misspelled words, sentence fragments, and punctuation.
- Double-check that you have attached your writing to the submission.
- Please… only one space after a period or colon. It’s the bane of every editor’s existence to have to substitute typewriter-informed spacing with 21st century spacing.
#5: Be Legal and Ethical
- It should go without saying, but we will not accept material that is political, sexually explicit or contains profanity, hate language, or slurs. This includes text, video, and/or photos that are part of submissions.
- You MUST own all images and work included in the submission or have appropriately credited the owner.